Renewal Time - Concealed Carry

It's that time again. Seemed like only yesterday that I went through a concealed carry renewal course. To maintain my permit, I must renew it every four years along with a refresher course every two years. You see, it just so happens that I like to fish in places where the bears and lions like to call home. I say those mountain stream areas are mine to camp and fish as I please, but an angry bear can think otherwise.

And, then there are the mountain lions who like to remind me of who owns the mountain side as well. Last April, while Rich and I were fishing a little Rio up on Rainy Mountain, I crossed paths with a mountain lion. We stared at each other for what seemed like a long time. It's at that moment you're guessing which way the scenario will go? I have to say the biggest reason I wasn't in a panic was the Glock 10mm resting in the holster on my hip, with my hand gripping it just in case. Lucky for the cat, or me, that he sauntered away. Well, I am sure the lucky one that day was me. This incident convinced me that having a firearm for defense in the wild is the right thing for me to do. Yeah, I've been in all those debates about best way to protect yourself against big, wild, toothy critters in the wild...but, I feel safer with a firearm versus pepper spray and it''s my life, so there you go.

Several years ago, I researched published studies about best firearm for bear defense. A significant number of outdoor experts recommended a 10mm as the best caliber for a handgun against a bear attack. It's easier to carry than a larger caliber revolver so you're likely to carry it. It holds more ammo in the double stack magazine. And, the velocity is more powerful than larger calibers for lethal penetration. So as a result, I carry a compact G29 10mm in a waistband holster whenever I'm fishing in bear country.

And, it's a great camp gun that sleeps with me near my pillow...just in case. I had a camp host greet me on one of my trips, and she pointed out that there is an active bear in the area and it's been in the campground on a regular basis. I replied that's why I sleep in my truck camper. She then informed me that a bear will easily go through my camper shell if it wants to. As she was telling me this, the voice in my head said, "if it tries that, it will be the dead one, not me."

While I carry the G29 in the mountains, I actually qualify for my concealed carry permit with a .45 caliber semi-auto that I acquired around thirty years ago...a 1911 Para compact officer. Qualifying with this caliber allows me to carry any .45 auto caliber and smaller semi-auto pistol. I'll be at the range a couple of days this week for some practice time, getting ready for another training class. Actually, these classes are enjoyable and I look forward to them.

It's good to be prepared in the wild, but let's hope there are no toothy critter encounters this year!

Comments

Popular Posts