Landing Nets

If you fish diverse streams like I do, you know the importance of using a landing net in the right size for any given trout stream. I kinda have a trout net thing, and am always on the lookout for a net that is the right size for my streams. For nets that I take to the water, I prefer that they have a catch and release basket along with the looks of fine craftsmanship that is pretty much an art piece. When it comes to wood nets, I have a fondness for Brodin and Orvis landing nets. And yeah, Brodin has made nets for Orvis from time to time. The older classics are quite handsome and like I said, they can be a work of art.

In view of USA made landing nets, I find it odd that an angler can't find a nice brookie sized net anymore. Not that long ago, you could find them from Brodin, Orvis, Cortland, and any number of small custom shops. What happened? I don't know. I now have to go to the second hand market to find these brookie nets and it takes being patient and persistent to find one in minty condition.

I must say, the big box outdoor stores do have small nets that come close to being a brookie net, but not quite. And, the wood looks like the maker used planks from an old warehouse pallet. I think many of them are made in Pakistan. They do serve a purpose, however...on rocky canyon streams where a net tends to get beat to hell. Yep, that's a good use for them. A cheap net that can be tossed after some crashing on boulder filled trails and streams.

Photos below are my best nets in order of small brookie net, to leetle feller net, to large stream nets where the bigger trout roam.

Brodin Net: a vintage brookie net that is perfect for my little Rios - 14" long overall with a 9" x 6" hoop. This net is quite rare and hard to come by in this day and age.

Brodin Net: a vintage net for small streams that hold native "leetle fellers" around 10" to 14" on average - 18.5" long overall with a 12" x 6" hoop.

Orvis Net: a wood net that will hold 20" plus trout - has a long handle with 30" overall length and a hoop measuring 16" x 10"

And then there's this net (below). My wife bought it for me as a gift. The Handy Pak Nets have been around for many years and fold up, to be stuffed into a leather pouch. Unfortunately, neither one of us has been able to get this one folded as the instructions state??? Once I figure it out, it will get some good use:)

Handy Pak Net: a folding net with teak handle and a metal hoop - overall length of 23" with a 16" x 9" hoop.

Comments

Popular Posts