Fishing New Rios

Discovering new trout streams is fun and I have learned about most of the streams I fish in New Mexico from friends and books. Having good friends is a good thing...they share their favorite trout streams with you. Also, I have learned about a few amazing little streams from "out of print" fly fishing books. Back in the old days, authors would tend to share their streams...much more than today's authors. There is a book store in Taos that I always visit when my wife and I are enjoying some kick-back time there...those old books have stories of trout streams I never would have known about if not for them. Yes, they wind up on my office bookshelf for ongoing reference and often result in new fishing adventures.

I have mostly learned about all the streams up on Rainy Mountain and how to access them from my neighbor, Brian. We have been all over that mountain and I appreciate so much what he has taught me. Those streams have provided us years of fishing and joy in the outdoors. I remember very well how we discovered both of us were fly fishermen. I had my truck backed into the driveway loading it up for a trip and Brian pulled up to the driveway. With his window rolled down, he pointed to my front license plate that says, "Fly Fish New Mexico". That was the beginning of some fabulous fishing trips...

Before too long, Brian introduced me to Neal who is also a fly fisherman...the three of us have spent many days up on Rainy Mountain. The fun thing about Brian and Neal is that they met at a trout club meeting several years ago and discovered they were both from Boston and attended the same school. What are the odds of that happening? Neal has a Forestry Service background and is great at reading maps, and finding those blue-line streams in remote areas. He has led the way to some very nice trout waters during our years of fishing together. Yep, good friends are the best way to find new trout streams and fabulous fishing adventures.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts