Stalking Trout

Want to improve your chance at catching a trout? Well, don't let the trout see you...

It's about that simple. Do what you can to not let the trout see you. That's why fishing upstream is a good way to fish. The trout have their head pointing into the current and your casting to them from behind where they are holding and can't see you. I always catch more trout when casting upstream or slightly up and across from the trout's holding area.

I often see guys walking downstream along the bank and all they are doing is putting down the trout without much chance of catching one of them. It's a good idea to walk some distance away from the stream's bank, and then sneak (low crouch) over to the stream to cast your fly.

Sometimes I do have to get on my knees and crawl to the bank for a stealthy cast into the water...it hurts, but I do it if I hear a big slurp and want to improve my chances of a catch. I have a couple of meadow Rios where I have to keep out of site using the steep bank and tall grass to block my presence from the trout. It's the only way I can have a chance to catch these spooky leetle fellers.

I rely much on my intuition when stalking trout. And, I think my native ancestors gave me a gift for stealthy fishing. I like thinking that, anyway...

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts