Flyfishing The High Country - Gierach

I just added a book post not long ago. However, it's winter and there is nothing else to do but sit by the fire and read a book...so, here's another book post (LOL). I picked up a book by John Gierach last week titled, Fly Fishing The High Country. He wrote the book in 1984 and I wasn't aware of it until I happened across it in an article I was reading recently. Since I love fishing high country streams, it was a book I wanted to buy and was curious to see how it compared to Gierach's later publications like Trout Bum and his more recent books. Happy I did because this was a fun read.

This is a tiny book and can be read in an afternoon, but it's packed with a lot of useful information about fishing in the high country. Apparent to me this book is a bit more instructional than his later books. And, It seems to have more of a focus on stillwater fishing as with beaver ponds and lakes and less information about fishing mountain creeks. I don't fish stillwater, but on a rare occasion,. So, this was good for me to learn some good tips from Gierach.

Interestingly, I attended a trout club meeting a couple of weeks ago and the topic was trout fishing techniques on mountain lakes. And, much of the information from the meeting's speaker and what John was suggesting in his book were identical...so, I think it's good information when confirmed by two experienced fly fishers.

This would be a great book for newbies getting into fly fishing. As always, John Gierach is a good read and helps me get through the winter months. And of note, he has a new book coming out in March. I have it on pre-order.


Comments

Popular Posts