Fill It Up, Please

Back when I was a teenager, I could pull into a gas station and tell the attendant, "fill it up, please." And he would then ask, "can I check your oil too?" Yeah, those were the good days of 18 cent per gallon of gas. I don't care what anyone says, those days were better than the world we live in now. He even cleaned my windshield.

Today, the cost of one dry fly from the local fly shop is more than what it cost me to fill up my car in 1966. Something is terribly wrong with that reality!

Anyway, it's winter time in New Mexico and not much more to do today than fill up some fly boxes. I'll have a mix of general use boxes and stream specific boxes after today's little task...and, be ready for that first fly fishing trip in the spring. What flies you ask? Well, dry flies. There will be a couple of boxes (shirt pocket size) with the usual six flies in various sizes that work quite well up on Rainy Mountain. And, then a couple of six inch boxes with a wide assortment of dry flies that usually work up in the northern New Mexico and Colorado rivers. Then I'll need to refresh my "Hail Mary Box" with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in it. Yes, I'm getting ready for spring!

Comments

Popular Posts