What If...

What if the R.L. Winston Company called me and asked, "Mike, if you could have us build any rod you want, what would it be?"

You know, I actually think about it from time to time. What would be my perfect rod? Well, I would ask for a three-piece graphite rod using the old IM6 tapers, but designed with tip over butt ferrules instead of the spigot ferrules found on the original IM6 rods. And, the series would include rod models in 2wt, 3wt, and 4wt configurations...optional lengths. It would be an exciting rod and like no other in today's market. 

The following are design features I would find ideal for my dream rod:

  • All graphite
  • Same tapers from the IM6 rod series
  • Tip over butt ferrules
  • Cigar handle
  • Reel seat with sliding band and cap hardware...maple birdseye spacer
  • Built for lines 2wt thru 4wt
  • Critical lengths per rod weight as below:

2wt Rods:

    • 6 1/2ft
    • 7ft

3wt Rods:

    • 6 1/2ft
    • 7ft
    • 7 1/2ft
    • 8ft

4wt Rods:

    • 7ft
    • 7 1/2ft
    • 8ft
The rod model I would want if I could only have one would be the 7' 4wt model. That would be an awesome rod! Well, maybe someday they'll build it? If I were Winston, I would call it the WT3 series.

Comments

  1. Great idea for a rod series mike. I'll take 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. I'm thinking it's about time that Winston rolls out a new rod series...looking forward to see the next generation of rods from them.

      Delete
  2. For me would be a three (or even four) piece Stalker series. Same old phenolic glass blanks but this the practicality of a multi piece format

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an awesome series...I'll take one in 8' 4wt. Winston hasn't offered a glass rod since 2004. It would be fabulous if they launched a glass series!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts