Lost - Orvis Battenkill 14" Net

About a year ago, I was enjoying a winter day of fly fishing up on Rainy Mountain. Fishing was slow for this dry fly guy and so I was stream hopping around the mountain trying to find a stream section where the trout were interested in my fly. It was a great day until I got home and discovered my favorite brookie net was not in the truck. I'm not sure how I lost it, but I sure have missed that little net. Most likely, a stream side willow snagged it off of my fishing pack as I was bushwhacking back to the truck. The net was only 14" long by 5.5" wide...a rare one.

Oh well, stuff happens. If someone came along and found it, I sure hope they are enjoying a gem of a net. I have been searching the internet this year for a worthy replacement. They just don't make these little brookie nets anymore, so I have to look for second hand nets...back to the era when they were appreciated by those who fish the blue lines out in the middle of nowhere.

Happily, I just recently found a replacement and it arrived in the mail this week. A vintage Brodin in excellent condition. The hoop on the net is 9" x 6" and the frame is 14" in total length, making it a perfect replacement for the old Battenkill that I lost. Nope, I'm not going to lose this one...and, I'm going to cherish each wild trout it scoops up for me in 2023.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts