It's Special...

Yeah, I have one rod that is more special than the rest. There is no single reason why. It's just that when I'm fishing this rod, it seems perfect, and in concert with the stream and the outdoor experience on any given day that I'm fishing with it. The rod loads easy for short casting and can hit a target with a dry fly without having to use conscious thought...intuitive casting. And, that rod tip protects the tippet, giving me assurance I will handle a hooked trout all the way to the net (well, you know). A little wild trout, on a tight line, with this rod is awesome!

Another reason this rod is special is the aesthetics...down locking reel seat, birdseye maple spacer, cigar grip, and that deep green blank with the Winston logo. Yes, it's a Winston IM6 6'6" 2wt fly rod, known for being smooth with that famous Winston feel...the smallest rod model in the IM6 rod series. It was built in 1996 at the end of the "Loomis sourced" blank era. For those anglers who love to fish the tiny Rios, high on the mountains, this rod is in total harmony with that environment. It just fits me like no other rod in the quiver. It works, effortlessly so!

I'm planning one of my gypsy fishing trips for 2023 with this rod in mind...the entire trip will be planned around this sweet little rod. That means a focus on high altitude mountain creeks...and little wild trout.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts