Fly Fishing 2022 - A Look Back

I'll have to say that 2022 was a frustrating year for me in regard to trout fishing in New Mexico. I didn't have the opportunity to fish as many days as I usually do each year. We first had wild fires that closed down many rivers in the state. Then, we had monsoons that went on for months, keeping some rivers closed well into fall. My favorite streams were closed for most of the fishing season as a result of these fires and high waters. Still, I found some places to wet a line when possible.

Something new for me this year...I didn't catch one rainbow trout. And, I came eye to eye with a mountain lion about forty yards from me. And, I had a coyote stalking me in the high grass as I fished a meadow stream. All the wildlife I spotted this year made up for the lack of fishing time. Well...not really.

For those who don't know, I'm definitely a small stream guy and love the mountain settings that our little Rios flow through...most are brown trout streams these days it seems, with some mountain lions, bears, and other critters thrown into the mix. Good news is there will be a couple of streams, holding native trout, that will be opening up for me next year. And, I'm looking forward to setting up camp on those river banks for relaxation, campfire cooking, and some fly fishing.

Below are a few random photos of the creeks, Rios, and rivers I have fished this year. Hopefully, next year I can get back on some of the other streams I love to camp and fish...and to enjoy more days on the water with the trout. Those photos of me fishing are courtesy of Sylvia, Steve, and Rich. And the little guys are my grandsons, who will become a couple of skilled fly fishers...their Papa and Grandma will help that along.

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts