A New Spot

After losing my Spot Messenger (1st generation) this fall, I've been considering several products to replace it. Sylvia and I were on a river up in northern NM for some exploring and fishing, and I lost my SPOT GPS device. The original version of SPOT came with a thin vinyl cover to attach to a pack and it became pretty worn after ten years of use. I'm guessing the cover finally tore off the clip while going through some willows.

For Christmas, Sylvia gave me a new SPOT to replace the old one. Of note, she also bought the original one for me over 10 years ago...she insisted on me using it as a way of getting emergency help if ever I needed it. At first, I didn't think it was necessary, but soon appreciated its value when going off grid for fishing. She was right about it being a prudent thing to have in event of emergency...and I now consider a GPS communication tool as being critical to have with me whenever I'm out in the wilderness.

I was going back and forth between buying a new Spot or a new iPhone 14 that has GPS and SOS capabilities. I was leaning toward the iPhone because of text messaging, but the Spot has a much simpler SOS function in the event I was hurt and needed to punch the button for help. Well, Sylvia solved my indecision between the two with a gift of the new SPOT GEN4.

She made a good choice, because the SPOT is pretty much idiot proof and easy to use, even though it doesn't have live text messaging capability. And, when my current iPhone needs to be replaced, I'll get a iPhone 14 Pro and use it for texting when off grid. I'll then have the best of both devices when I'm out camping and fishing in the mountain wilderness...can't do better than that!

The service plan I selected are:

  • SOS - with a push of a button , global search and rescue service provides my GPS location coordinates to local authorities for the quickest response to an emergency.
  • Check In - can quickly and easily let contacts know I'm okay and my GPS location.
  • Help/SOV - SPOT notifies and sends professional service for roadside assistance with my vehicle.

Now I'm back to readiness for some wilderness fishing and adventure...if only the weather will warm up.

Comments

Popular Posts