Trout Classic Rewind - Yellowstone 2016

Back in 2016, my brother and I took a 15 day camping and fishing trip through Wyoming. We drove straight through Colorado and Wyoming  (two stopovers for sleep) to Yellowstone. The campgrounds where we wanted to stay were first come, fist serve. And, we had no idea what we were going to do if all the campgrounds were full, so to say we were a little nervous is an understatement. But we got in line at the Park entrance early enough and found our campsite at Pebble Creek Campground for a fabulous camping and fishing week in outdoor paradise.

We fished the Lamar River and Sough Creek during our time in the park and we loved every minute. I must say, Slough Creek was my favorite. Reflecting back on our hike, if I knew how steep that climb to the meadows was, I'm not sure I would have hiked up there? Once we arrived in the meadows and fishing, we discovered it was well worth the effort. The beauty up on on Slough Creek is amazing and I think I did more gawking at the landscapes than focusing on fishing. We could hear from time to time a pack of wolves howling in the nearby mountain side which got our attention...fortunately, no bear sightings.

After Yellowstone, we exited the park south along the Teton Mountains and found a hotel in Jackson Hole to rest and shower. Oh man, that sure was a nice overnight break from camping, indeed. We did try to schedule a float trip down the Snake River, but no guides were available. So, we left Jackson Hole looking for our next campsite and fishing stream.

I closed my eyes and put a finger on the map and luckily that spot turned out to be my favorite stream side campground ever. On our second day there, a couple of guys rolled into the campground and came over for a chat. Turns out, they were national officers for Trout Unlimited and said they had been coming to this campground each year for many years...it was their favorite secret place to camp and fish. And, they swore Robert and I to not share the site with others. I have honored that over the years and will not disclose the location here on my blog. Sorry. Just a fabulous spot that is not well known and I hope to go back soon.

After a few days of camping and fishing, we packed up and traveled to another river based on recommendations from the TU guys. We found a hotel, cleaned up, and found a nice place to get a bite to eat.  We met another angler there and had a conversation about how best to fish the Platte River. He recommended we fish by drift boat and the fly shop that could accommodate us. Yep, he was right...that float trip was a blast and a great way to end a fabulous fishing vacation. This was a bucket list trip that I will always cherish...the best ever quality time for me with my brother.

Random photos from our fishing trip through Wyoming are posted below...


Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts