Winston 2wt Fly Rods

It occurred to me this week that I have been packing 2wt fly rods more often during this past year. Typically, my favorite size rod for my little Rio's has been a 3wt rod...but, these 2wt rods seem to be getting more action than the 3wt rods lately. I'm not sure I can explain why that is? It may be that I just get in a mood to fish certain rods, or I happen to get into a bunch of trout on a trip and I just keep packing those same rods in my gear bag as a result. Not sure. This I do know, these 2wt Winston classics are pretty darn effective on my home waters. They're accurate, a blast to cast, protect fine tippet, and seem as though they are just a natural extension of my arm in these beautiful trout environments. Yes, it's that famous Winston feel.

These 2wt fly rods are meant for small stream fishing. They are the lightest, most delicate rod that Winston makes. They're great for the happy-go-lucky days on a high altitude creek where an 8" trout can bend the rod all the way down to the handle. These rods are perfect for protecting light tippets and dropping tiny dry flies in a pocket of water holding a leetle feller.

I have three classic Winston 2wt rods that I fish on a regular basis. Photos and descriptions of these rods are below...


Winston IM6 6'6' 2wt - this little beauty is the smallest graphite fly rod made in the IM6 trout series of rods. I have a tiny Rio that usually gets assigned this rod for a day of lazy fishing and wandering about on the mountain side. It's perfect for those 8 to 10 inch brown trout. Also, I'm thinking this rod may be the most handsome rod in my collection...the quality and performance is second to none I've fished. It was built in Twin Bridges, MT in 1996 and is only 1 7/8 ounces in total weight. A two-piece rod of genius design by Tom Morgan and can cast effectively up to 40 feet. (CODE K)


Winston WT 7' 2wt - lately, this rod has had most of my attention. It may be the perfect rod for most of the streams I fish on my home mountain. This rod can handle either a 2wt or 3wt fly line if they are true-to-weight lines. And, I tend to use a 3wt line on it for most fishing adventures...easy loading is needed for short casts in those Rio's that are covered with bushy banks and overhead tree branches. This rod has the fastest feel of these three rods...weighs 2 1/8 oz and can effectively cast up to 45 feet. (CODE G)


Winston WT 8' 2wt - I kind of scolded myself when I purchased this rod. After committing to the purchase, I only then started thinking about where in my fly fishing world will I use this rod? Well, I have found a couple of streams that are a great fit and after fishing it through the last two years, I can say I'm happy to have it. This rod is perfect for fishing tiny tippets for spooky trout and where you need to cast upstream 30 to 45 feet for your best chance at a hook set. It's amazing up close too. A great addition to my Winston collection! This rod has brought every species of New Mexico trout to the net...fun rod, indeed. It just weighs 2 1/4 oz and can effectively casts up to 45 feet. (CODE J)

Of note: easily, the 7' 2wt rod could be my only 2wt rod for streams I fish...but, why have just one fun rod when you can have three to enhance your fishing enjoyment in different environments?

Comments

Popular Posts