My Grab Bag

Yesterday, my wife and I woke up at the same time with the sun streaming into our windows. First thing she said..."I'm going to the zoo to get in some volunteer hours. You should go fishing." I don't have to be told twice to go fishing.

I keep a duffle bag, packed with fishing gear, just for those times when I'm wanting to leave the house on a last minute's decision to go fishing. No, it's not one of those high priced, designer label, fishing bags like you see from FishPond or Simms. It's just a $20 duffle with the standard fishing stuff I keep within it (fit for any stream) for my home waters:

  • Hip waders (cheap, $40 kind)
  • Lightweight wading shoes
  • Wading staff
  • Socks (extra dry socks)
  • Water proof socks
  • Sling pack full of fly boxes, floatant, nippers, hemostats, bug spray, leaders.
  • Landing net (small)

The only thing I need to add to the grab bag is a rod/reel chosen for which stream I'm planning to fish that day. I've been using this system for a couple of decades. And, it's a solution to make sure I have everything I need for those last minute decisions to hit the road for a day of fly fishing. Just grab the bag and go!

Now, there can be a downside to these "on the whim" trips...and that is the conditions of the stream environment, you didn't bother to research, can be a total disaster in view of catching any trout. Especially during monsoon season. It took me driving to three different streams before I found water flows low enough, and clear enough, to float a dry fly. Yeah, I totally got skunked this day *%#@!*&%$. But at least I was outdoors and fishing:)

Some random photos below of a fabulous day...without one trout hitting my fly! It's a good life, sitting on the tailgate, sipping an ice cold beer at the end of the day. With no fish *&%^$#@*&$*

Yikes! It just occurred to me that my last two trips have been stinkers!!! That doesn't usually happen to me. I need my favorite mountain creeks to open up soon to net some leetle fellers....or I might take up hiking, bird watching, and plein-air painting.

Gear: Winston TMF 8' 4wt rod; Hardy Perfect reel; Rio LightLine WF4F.


Click on photos for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts