MOJO is Back

Yep, my MOJO is back. I was beginning to wonder what happened to my fishing skills after getting skunked earlier this month...but, Monday's trip and today's fishing adventure have erased any doubts that crept into this old brain of mine. I'm back!

Rich picked me up early this morning and we headed off to the mountain in search of wild trout. Same place I fished this past Monday. We were hoping to find cooler temperatures at 8K altitude. After arriving, I was sure it felt just as hot at high altitude. So much for that part of the plan. When we arrived we found ourselves alone on a tiny Rio way back in the corner of backcountry...as far as the forrest road would go.

As soon as I stepped out of Rich's car, a burst of grasshoppers were buzzing all over the place. Maybe the most hoppers I've ever seen by a trout stream. I didn't even have to think about what fly to use, duh!!! We got our rods rigged up and headed in opposite directions to the stream. My second cast brought a colorful little brown trout and it was pretty much non-stop action after that for Rich and me. Those little trout were fat, which tells me they have been snacking on hoppers for a while.

We fished until the storm clouds arrived and the thunder was booming in preparation for some rain. That was our clue to break down the rods and start heading back home. While we were turning in the pass at the ranger's office, a volunteer asked us if we wanted to view the Elk bedding down out in the middle of the valley floor. She had them scoped in and we had fun viewing these awesome animals.

It definitely was a good day...

Gear: Winston TMF fly rod; Bauer SST4 fly reel; Rio LightLine WF4F; Secret dry fly (LOL).

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

  1. Awesome. Glad you got your mojo back on those tiny streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve...slowly, the streams are opening up. I'm frustrated that two of my favorite streams are still closed, though. I'm thinking of going up to CO for camping and fishing once the temps begin to cool. If you're interested, let me know.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts