Had A Stalker Today....

I had to go up to the ranger station today and work through a problem with my permit application on the preserve. Fortunately, the ranger found the problem(their error) and corrected my online file and printed out a new fishing permit and a vehicle pass to the backcountry for me. I then told myself, "hey, let's take some time and fish a bit." So, off to the backcountry the truck went.

It was a beautiful day being partly cloudy overhead with some storm clouds brewing to the west. Plenty of time to drift a dry fly and see if any trout would come out and play before those storm clouds reach me. Yep, there were plenty of trout and I fooled a few of them. Only brown trout are in this stream and that's just fine with me...pretty leetle fellers, indeed! They were very spooky today...

After releasing a little beauty of a trout, I started working my way back to the truck. I thought there was still time before the storm would hit the area and wanted to explore another part of the preserve. Funny thing, as I was fishing my way back to my starting spot, I felt uneasy for some reason. I kept hearing a light wispy sound behind me, often turning to see if anything was behind me. I checked the tree line real good and the grassy meadow, but couldn't see anything. Still, it felt like eyeballs looking right through me. I was kind of happy to jump into the truck to tell you the truth. Creepy feeling.

And then, as I started the truck, this big ol' coyote came out of the tall grass right on the stream's bank. I knew it! He was stalking me as I was fishing. I never regret paying attention to my instincts and I'm glad I was in that truck. He was still giving me the eyeball as I was driving away.

So I turned the radio up some and streamed Lynyrd tunes through the speakers on my way to another stream area. I think I got to fish a little over two hours before the storm started the thunder and rain. And, I netted about six or seven brown trout making for a very good day!!!

Gear: Winston TMF 8' 4wt fly rod; Hardy Perfect fly reel; Rio LightLine WF4F; and a secret dry fly:)

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. Got here through the North American Fly Fishing Forum. Nice report of your day of fishing. Fun to read and start my morning with. JohanDH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Johan. It's a beautiful place and I usually see a variety of wild life in this area...once a Golden Eagle landed not far from me and watched me fish for a few minutes. A special place for me...and, I'm going back up there today with a buddy of mine. Picked up your note while packing a bag for the day:) Hope your day is wonderful....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts