Camping during Monsoon Season

Well, I'm back home after a couple days of fishing up in southern Colorado. It was especially nice to be out camping and being able to have a camp fire, for sure. My buddy Rich and I worked the river hard, but the trout just were not wanting to rise to the top and take a bite of fake morsel. Yeah, the trout were feeding on the bottom and I'm a dedicated dry fly nut...so, there you go. Sometimes it's very difficult to stay committed to dry fly fishing when you know you can tie up a nymph rig and go after them on the bottom. But, I stayed true to dry fly and had much fun anyway. Just being in that outdoor environment was enough for me on this trip.

Rich had the camp all set up before my arrival and it was nice. We were camping close to the river and enjoyed a two-day break in monsoon downpours. Lucky that we got in a couple days of fishing. What more could one ask for? After all, we had food at the campground and were not relying on a catch to fill our bellies...so all was good. LOL. Next time there will be tight lines, no doubt.

I did scout a new camping place while up there and plan to stay there on my next trip in this gorgeous valley of trout. I think I'll go back during hopper season:) In the meantime, my home waters have opened up again to access (due to wild fires) and I do plan on immersing myself in the mountains where my favorite little Rio's flow....things should be getting back to normal. And, I think I'm starting to come out of the grieving process after losing my Mom earlier this year. Life is good...thanks be to God!

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. That looks like a great canopy to stay out of the rain under. Home made? Sorry about no fish on the dry. That's a tough river so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Rich's new camping setup...he found the canopy at an online store. It's pretty cool in how it attaches to the back of his SUV.

      That river is gorgeous and I love fishing it. It was still running a little high. I got two hook sets, but couldn't get them all the way into the net. Should be better next time up there. Definitely going back before summer is over. I have a campground I want to try further up stream.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts