Monsoon Glory

Yes, we're in monsoon season and what a relief it is to be in the kitchen nook typing out a post knowing the monsoons are doing what nature does best...correcting man's stupid mistakes! Man sets the fire, nature takes it out for the good of all the little critters in the wilderness. The simmering coals from the fires are being washed and cooled, thanks be to God!!! Yep, those Hot Shot crews are amazing too. And, just maybe. Maybe, the national forest will be deemed safe enough to open again. Please let it be.....there are rumors the national parks could open this weekend! UPDATE: A few hours after I posted this information, the US Forest issued an announcement that parts of Carson and Santa Fe Forest will open on June 24th..

I've been reading a quite a lot during this fishing down time and I do believe it has helped me to put things in perspective in view of all the crazy things going on in the world. Well, I should say the authors have helped me with perspective. And one author in particular has had an emotional and comforting effect on me. John Voelker. John's lifestyle, humor, and relaxing approach to fishing reminds me of what is truly important in view of fishing, life, and enjoying the outdoors. If you haven't read a book by John Voelker....do yourself a favor and buy a book of his. His pen name was Robert Traver and his book, Trout Madness, is a good first read to get you started. I've been enjoying his book, Trout Magic, during this downtime...and what a great escape from the craziness in the media!!!!

One of the things I admire about Voelker is his satisfaction with fishing home waters. He just seems to be content with local fisheries and not always in the hunt for some far away fishing adventure...some important lessons in his writing if one reads with conscious thought.

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts