Gila Trout Can't Get a Break!

It seems our Gila Trout just can't get a break from fires and the resulting destruction of streams. The G&F efforts to keep Gila populations at a safe level has been an onerous challenge. During this last fire in the Black Canyon area, I did hear that teams rescued some Gila trout and transported them to the Mora Hatchery...for purpose of new trout projects in the future. That's good news!

The last time I was in the Gila Forest was this past September in the Black Canyon...yep, right in the area of the current Black Fire. I was told the trout in that area would all be lost due to the fire. I was there with my buddy, Steve and found the campground there just a beautiful place to spend a few days. I'm guessing all that area is nothing but charred trees and ashes now. While there, we entertained a few bicycle groups stopping at the campground for a night's rest. They all started their journey from Canada and were riding the Continental Divide trail to the Mexico border. Nice people on an adventure of a lifetime. Can you imagine the detour the Continental Divide bicyclist and hikers have to take during this fire????

All of my past trips to the Gila have been very enjoyable, particularly with friends hiking up and down the stream trails in search of that special native trout. Below are a few random photos of past trips to the Gila Wilderness areas.
Click on photo for larger view

Comments

  1. I'm glad they were able to save some of the gila trout in black canyon. I wonder what about all those beavers. All the gila trips to the gila wilderness have been a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed every trip we've taken there. You know, I didn't think about the beavers...they may have run into a tragedy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts