Hail Mary Fly Box

When I'm planning a fishing trip, I do quite a bit of research in view of its environment and types of flies that entice the local trout there. But, as I have found in the past, I sometimes arrive at a place and none of those flies are fooling any trout. 

As a contingency to save a day and not get skunked (panic), I pack this classic Wheatley Fly Box holding a bunch of flies that I don't normally carry with me...I call it the "Hail Mary Box" for when none of my selected flies are working for a particular stream. It's rare that I have to dive into this box for a last hope fly, but comforting to know I have some backup options.

Yeah, I observe the hatches on streams and try to match the buggy boogers. I also listen to the local fly shop's recommendations on which flies to use. But, sometimes the trout have a different interest in their "cuisine of choice" for a given day. That's why I have a "Hail Mary Box" full of flies...

Comments

Popular Posts