Celebrating Good News - By Fly Fishing

I felt like getting on the mountain to celebrate (by fishing) some good news we received on Monday...no, it's personal and not going to discuss, but trust me, it lightened my spirits. The weather app said it was going to be in the seventies with blustery winds. So what did I do? I packed a 2wt rod...I know, crazy, huh?

Arrived at the stream at nine(ish) and there was only one angler in sight. So, I took off upstream to more secluded areas and began working the stream. The water flow was up, but at a very nice level, with a jasmine tea stain to it...not bad, just stained enough so that I could get a little closer to the trouty pools and runs. Nothing was happening for over an hour and I was beginning to wonder if this was a day I would get skunked. And then, around eleven, the trout got active and I was having tight lines. They were small wild browns and very feisty. I was smiling up and down the stream, having a great time.

At about 1:00, I decided to go up the mountain to check out the flows and see how much snow remained on the mountain sides at high altitude. A beautiful drive up the mountain. I stopped at one of my favorite trails and trekked in with my rod to see if there any trout interested in taking a dry fly. Yep, smaller than on the other stream, but still yet there were trout rising to a dry fly. Dang, this was fun!

Feeling famished and needing food, I stopped and ate a sandwich before heading back home. Interesting how food taste so much better after catching a bunch of trout, it seems. Yeah, a good celebration of life today!

Gear: Winston IM6 6'6" 2wt fly rod; Trutta Perfetta reel; #14 Black Flying Ant dry fly (worked all day).

Click on photos for a larger view

Comments

Popular Posts