On the Rio

 
My buddy, Rich and I went up to the Rio yesterday for some fishing...we were thinking it has been a long winter and the day was warm enough to get out and fly fish. I really didn't expect to catch anything on a dry fly, because I never do up there during the winter. A smart angler would use a nymph. But I'm not as smart as I was in my youth and drifting a dry fly is more fun, anyway. And yes, I did get a wild brown to the net! Fooled him....and got a few more to hit the fly, but missed the hook set. Rich got into to some rainbows.

We could only get access to a couple of streams on the lower elevations since all the streams are snow and ice covered up higher on the mountain. It's up at the higher elevations where all the good trout fishing can be found, but those trout will have to wait to see me when spring begins its magic on the mountain.

Gear: Winston WT 7' 2wt fly rod; VR Design 3" Trutta Perfetta fly reel; Rio LightLine WF2F fly line; #16 Black Flying Ant dry fly.

Attached below are some random photos of the day. We stopped at a location as we were coming down the mountain to see if any trout happened to be hungry and would rise to a fly. We did find some takers. Funny, a monk would keep coming out of the monastery to see if we had extra trout to share. I kept telling him we were catch and release fishing only today...don't think he quite believed me.

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

  1. Spring fishing is early this year. Looks like you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts