Fishing Ultra-Light Gear

Want to have some fun? Fish a 2wt rod on a wild trout, mountain creek...tight lines with little trout on ultra-light gear are a blast! My home waters have trout that are on average in the 8-10 inch size, with anything 12" or larger being considered a trophy fish. Because of the small size of trout that swim these mountain streams, it makes since to use ultra-light fly gear. I promise you, it's much more fun using ultra-light gear in these environments.

I have three rods in the 2wt model category. An 8' 2wt Winston WT rod for those streams with room to cast up to 40 feet. A 7' 2wt Winston WT for those streams where there are occasional places with tight canopy of tree limbs, but mostly can cast up to 25 feet in most sections of the stream...mostly pocket water. And, a 6'6" 2wt Winston IM6 rod that is perfect for those tight, bushy streams where close in casting and roll casting is a must.

These traditional Winston rods are classics and have the "Winston feel" that is legendary with small stream anglers. I haven't found any brand of rod that can beat these Winston classical rods for fishing up high in the mountain headwaters. And, believe me I have tried. There is something special about the tip section on these rods. I'm convinced, Tom Morgan found the magic recipe for the perfect taper he designed into his ultra-light trout rods.

Some random photos below of my 2wt Winston rods...

Click on photo for larger view


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I fished 2wts a bunch last year...looks like they will get used a lot this year too:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts