Drawing to a Perfect Pair - Winston 2-Piece Rods

When I leave the house to spend a day on home waters, I usually take a pair of fly rods...in event the stream conditions change or for when I move to another stream. And, when deciding which rods to pack for the day, I like to "draw" out a pair with similar personalities and action (mostly).

Here's a couple of fly rods I know will get packed for fishing trips quite often this year. These two rods compliment each other so well, I may wear them out. They are two piece rods and include a Winston IM6 6'6" 2wt rod that was built in 1996...with the other rod being the Winston WT 7' 4wt rod, built in 2001. The Winston catalogs show the 7' 4wt model was last produced in 1998, even though Winston said my rod was built in 2001? They surely used old stock IM6 blanks for the WT rod as a one-off custom build, which means the IM6 blanks for both rods were made within a couple of years of each other. Yeah, that 7' 4wt rod is a mystery, for sure. The IM6 3wt rod for certain has a Loomis sourced blank based on its serial number...while the WT 4wt rod probably has a Winston rolled blank. The actions with both rods feel the same.

In any event, these two rods are special classics, a perfect pairing, and will be out in the sun doing what they do best this coming summer...

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts