Voelker's Pond

Have you caught yourself wondering why you fish? Or maybe a better question, do you know why you fish? If you don't know, then this book may be a good one for you to read. Many years ago I thumbed through this book at a library, but stupid me didn't check out the book to actually read it. When I came across this first edition print of Voelker's Pond recently, I didn't hesitate to purchase it...and yes, I did read it this time. And it's now nestled in my bookcase for my ongoing reference.

For those who don't know about John Voelker, he was a Michigan Supreme Court judge who wrote the famous novel, Anatomy of a Murder. That book later became a movie in 1960 and was nominated for seven Academy Awards. Actually, John Voelker is known for several published books based on fishing and legal themes...written under his pen name, Robert Traver. Trout Madness is one of those books and another must read. He said upon his retirement from the court, "other people can write my opinions, but none can write my books. I have learned that I can't do both so regretfully I must quit the court."

This is a must read book for a fly fisher, or anyone, interested in living a purposeful life. And, it will cause you to think more about why you fish...

“I fish because I love to . . . because I love the environs where trout are found . . . because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don’t want to waste the trip . . . and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant––and not nearly so much fun.” 
― John Voelker

Comments

Popular Posts