Winston WT 7' 2wt Fly Rod

This rod gets used a lot on my mountain streams. Honestly, it could be called a workhorse rod and be a true statement. I like it because it's easy to load the rod for short casts in those canopied areas that are tight with not much room for casting. It's an accurate rod that easily flicks a line to a piece of pocket water or a slither of a deeper run where the trout like to tread water. And, it's in these tight sections on the mountain where I like to over line the rod with a WF3F fly line and man, oh man is this a fun rod when working a stream in this configuration. I discovered through trial and error that it is in it's sweet spot with a Rio LightLine spooled on the reel...definitely the right line for this rod.

I also fish this rod on the more open areas where the rio's are narrow and deep with wild little brown trout and natives. For this type of environment, I use a WF2F fly line as the rod design is intended. True to weight lines definitely work best with this rod and it is accurate out to about 45 feet...although a cast that long is rare on my home waters.

Just writing this little blurb of a post makes me wish warm weather was already here. I know exactly which stream and area this rod will get rigged up for spring fishing next year...

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts