Watercolor Painting - October

This month's featured artwork is a watercolor painted by Jimmy Lane. Jimmy and I went to the same high school and college together...yeah, a long time ago. I actually observed Jim painting this piece at the university we were attending at the time. We were up late one night in a campus studio working feverishly on watercolor paintings to complete our course assignments, when Jim painted this piece.

When we finished our respective projects and were closing up the studio, I mentioned how much I liked this particular watercolor of his. He thanked me and then said he was behind on his gas bill and would sell it to me for fifty dollars. So you know, I was about as poor as he was but thought that paining at that price was too good of a deal to pass up. It has been hanging in my various homes ever since and is currently on our dining room wall. It brings back wonderful memories of my good friend each time it catches my eye.

Jim painted this piece on a full sheet of D'Arches 300lb rough water color paper, using Windsor & Newton water color paints. The painting has a four inch matt and the overall framed painting is 31x39 inches. This is the only painting that I own where I observed the artist creating it (besides my own) and I love it as much today as when Jim painted it way back in 1973.

Comments

Popular Posts