On The Rio - With Friends

I was with my good friends, Neal and Rich, on the mountain Rio yesterday. While we were on the quality waters, we had a bunch of hits and tightlines, but no trout to the net. Didn't care...the fall colors and mountain air energized the soul. Although, these old bones are feeling a bit sore today after climbing and wading all day.

These wild browns know how to spit a hook back at you and the barbless hook makes it easier for them. I had a heavy brown I was fighting and was feeling pretty good about my catch...and then he went "rodeo" on me. When he went two feet into the air, bucking like mad, he managed to spit the hook at me. Dang! He had to be a good 14" at least and I remember saying to myself , "oh sh**t" when I saw him in the air. That's a big trout for this little Rio. Yeah, that's a fish story...but it's true!

Gear: Scott GS773 fly rod; Sage Click III fly reel; Rio LL fly line; #14 Orange Stimulator; #12, 14 Parachute Adams; #14 Royal Stimulator.

Click on photos for a larger view

Comments

Popular Posts