Fly Lines - Rio LightLine

RIO’s LightLine has, over the years, become my fly line of choice. Why? It pairs so well with my classic fly rods for small stream fishing. I discovered the line when I bought a new Tibor Spring Creek reel and had the fly shop load it with the LL line for my Winston Glass Retro rod. I really liked the line's performance on that rod and soon discovered it worked just as well on my graphite rods. That was several years ago and I've since been slowly upgrading my small stream reels with this line.

The line is designed to load rods with a slower, more traditional action, such as bamboo, glass and the more “Classic” flexing graphite rods. The line is built to match the industry line standards which is rare these days...the trend toward fast action rods have required line manufacturers to make heavier lines to load those stiffer rods more easily. This LL line is a true AFTA standard for a given line weight.

The weight distribution and short front taper ensures the line loads at close range, making it ideal for fishing on smaller creeks and streams, while the softer, supple coating ensures the line remains relaxed and easy to handle in the majority of conditions. I'll tell you a little secret, the line works great on faster action graphite rods too...I was surprised about that.

The original Lightline fly lines were two tone in brown/ivory colors, while the new Premier series are moss/ivory colors.

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts