A Single Dry Fly - 2021

At the first of the year, I set a goal to fish a single dry fly 95% of the time in 2021. Well, it's October and so far I'm on track with exceeding that goal by a long shot. I added a dropper (hares ear nymph) to a dry fly this past spring for thirty minutes and then snipped it off. That was the only time I had a nymph on the line this year and I have fished a single dry fly on my streams since then. 

I came to the decision to only fish dry flies after some thoughtful research last year on the different factors that have an effect on fish populations. Some will say it is only the environment that affects trout populations. However, I have personally observed that fishing pressure has a tremendous effect on trout in view of both quantity and quality of trout populations. I have decided to let the trout have the bottom of the stream and if they rise to my dry fly, fine, that's fair game.

I'll be off grid today...I'm joining the boys on a mountain stream. Yep, just dry flies today and most likely for the rest of my fishing days:)

Comments

Popular Posts