Designed by - Tom Morgan

"A great fly rod is always a great fly rod" - Tom Morgan

I love dry fly fishing. There is something about casting a dry fly to a spot just upstream from a trout's nose that is exhilerating to me. And a few seconds later to see the splash of the trout taking the fly on the surface is crazy good. That splash, with the take of the fly, is why I fly fish...

Anglers who love to drift a dry fly should own a TMF 8' 4wt fly rod. The TMF (Tom Morgan Favorite) rod, in the WT series, has the slowest action within Winston's catalog of rods (at time of this posting). Winston doesn't make the WT series of rods anymore,  except for the TMF model...it's the true legacy rod for the late Tom Morgan - Fly Rod Maker.

Features:

  • All graphite with classic WT spigot ferrule design
  • 2-piece, medium action
  • Extra light 4-weight, perfect for creek fishing
  • Winston progressive tapers
  • Customer favorite since 1989
  • Handcrafted in Twin Bridges, Montana

The TMF is an amazing rod for fishing New Mexico meadows with wide open streams snaking through them. And, yes...they hold wild, fiesty, beautiful trout. It's in streams like these where I rarely step into the water, but stalk the banks looking for a target-rich deep run where it is likely to hold trout. The trout are so spooky in these streams I have to walk lightly, stay out of site of the local residents, or they dart off into an undercut to never be seen again. This rod was designed for these streams. Thank God for Tom Morgan, for this rod is so good in this type of environment. Bamboo or glass rods can't beat this sensitive graphite rod. I know. I've fished them all for years on these streams and am able to compare.

Tom Morgan - R.L. Winston Co.
The TMF is particularly special to me because I prefer fishing mountain creeks and small streams. And, it's fitting that someday it will go to one of my grandsons. In total, I have eight grandsons (as of now) and each of them will have a fly rod I have designated for them. I'm thinking they will find some magic in their Winstons when they wade into a trout stream...not because of me, but because of Tom Morgan who founded the company and created a design philosophy that lives on today.

Bauer SST4 - my designated reel for this Winston TMF fly rod. The reel has all of the modern technologies with a classic design that pairs nicely with Winston's classic rods. This SST4 has a custom color option (gold drag) and is weighted perfectly for the TMF rod. After spending some time on my home waters fishing this kit, I'm pretty sure I have found the perfect rod for me. (Code G)

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts