Cathedral Of The Pines

This is the first time I have fished on a Sunday in I don’t know how long. The stream and the environment were so peaceful and beautiful today. It was as if the stream was saying, “may peace be with you.”

As I was driving up the road along the stream, I was wondering if I would be fishing or just out for a photo shoot. The river was crowded with families picnicking and fishing. Fathers with their kids using spinning gear and bobbers were the norm. However, when I hiked up to the quality waters, I found that I was alone on the river. I fished all afternoon without seeing another person.

The temperature was in the mid sixties accompanied by a light cool breeze. I caught a bunch of little wild brown trout with one stocker rainbow sneaking into my net. For some reason, each time I have been here this year, I have found smaller fish in my net on average than in years past. I don't know if it's an environmental thing or my fishing techniques, but the trout are indeed smaller up in the quality water section. One thing that is different this year is that I'm fishing dry fly only and that may be one of the reasons....but still, I would catch some larger trout with a dry in years past. I may make a call to Game & Fish to see if they are aware and have some answers for me. I'm a little bit worried about it.

Anyway, it was pure joy out on the stream and having the day to myself with my thoughts and playing with pretty little wild trout was good for me. I fished until the clouds grew darker and the wind became gusty...then hiked down the mountain and headed for home with Emmylou Harris streaming through the speakers.

Gear: Winston Boron III LS 8' 4wt fly rod; Bauer SST4 fly reel; #14 Royal Rubber Leg with flash; #14 Black Flying Ant.

Click on photo for a larger view

Comments

Popular Posts