Bamboo - Tight Lines

Every now and then, I get in the mood for having some tight lines with a bamboo rod. So, yesterday I rigged up the 6'8" 3wt bamboo fly rod and went searching for trout at one of my regular streams. My buddy, Rich, was with me and we enjoyed a beautiful day in the mountains. There was a hint of fall in the air and as it got later in the day, we discovered the fishing got better and better.

Rich and I landed some pretty little wild browns and a bunch of rainbow trout. I stopped counting how many rainbows hit my net after the 12 count. Always interesting to me how fishing with a bamboo rod slows everything down and is so relaxing while working up and down a stream, even when there is lots of tight lines. Life in the slow lane...so peaceful!!!

We stopped for lunch at 1:00pm and enjoyed an IPA and some stream side snacks. Sidebar: my buddy Greg, up in Colorado, introduced me and friends to Voodoo Ranger IPA a couple of years ago and ever since it has been at our campgrounds and stream side breaks. Watch out, though...it packs a punch!

Back to the day of fishing. I must say it was work to get out of that camp chair and go back into the stream after a nice lunch break (I was comfortable). Good thing I did, because I discovered a big pool holding a pod of at least 25 trout. This pool was part of a section of stream that held about four pools like this one...I'm guessing there was at least 70 trout treading water in this particular section of stream. For the next hour, I had non-stop tight lines with trout.

Yeah, everyone needs one of these moments every now and then...but after a while, I asked myself, "how many trout to the net is enough?" And, I quickly concluded just asking the question is the answer. Back to that camp chair to wait for Rich to show up...he didn't know I had another bottle of IPA:)

A very nice day of fly fishing, indeed. Yeah, we're into the best time of the year for fly fishing and I hope to get the most out these next couple of months.

Below are photos of the day in no particular order....

Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts