New Mexico Slam - 2021

Each time I've gone south and caught Gila trout, I've been fortunate to close out that respective year with the New Mexico Slam. And, I have done it again this year! Happy to say, I have the New Mexico Slam behind me for the year 2021. 

There is only one species that makes this slam difficult for me and that is the brook trout. We just don't have many options to catch a brookie here in New Mexico. I used to have a nice little stream with brookies up in the higher stretches of the stream, but no more...they eradicated all species from the stream to keep it as RGC residents only. I agree with that decision, but it sure is making my attempt at the slam a bit more difficult.

There are five trout species that make up the New Mexico Slam: Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout; Gila Trout; Brown Trout; Rainbow Trout; and Brook Trout. Below are photos of each trout species I have caught in New Mexico this year...all on a dry fly. I have caught every trout species in NM on a mountain creek (my favorite for fly fishing), with the exception of the brook trout. I had to go to an alpine lake to get the brookie...

Note: Click on photo for larger view

Comments

Popular Posts