My Best 7 Footer

Last week's fishing trip confirmed for me which 7 footer fly rod is my best...the Winston WT 7' 3wt rod that I had out on the little Rio was perfect! Those little brown trout were hunkered down in those dark deep cut banks and it took a fly dropped into some small, tight targets to coax them out for a hook set. Getting the fly into the cut of the bank while avoiding the sticks and roots was a trick, but this rod made it easier than it should have been. The rod was so accurate and yet dropped the flies so softly it made some difficult fishing a good day none the less.

And, while there was some easy access to sections of the stream, the trout were not holding in those areas. I had to bushwhack through some thick brushy areas to get to where the trout were hiding in the protected cut banks. I must say it was more work than I was expecting, but totally worth it. I can only think of one trout species I like having on a tight line more than a wild brown. What a great day!

Gear: Winston WT 7' 3wt fly rod; Bauer SST3 fly reel; Orvis Wonderline WF3F.
Fly: #14 black royal wulff, #14 parachute adams.

Note: click on photo for a larger view

Comments

Popular Posts