Wheatley Fly Box Upgrade - DYI

Last year I was searching for a small pocket size Wheatley Fly Box to replace the one I lost on a stream earlier in the year (bummer day). The only Wheatley box I could find new and at a price I thought was fair had the thin white foam inserts. I bought the fly box thinking it would be easy to find an upgrade slotted foam replacement. But no, I couldn't find any replacement pads in the USA...the UK replacements were very expensive and had a long delivery date as well.

That fly box sat in my book case waiting for me to find the right replacement. And then, while roaming through Cabela's, I found a solution. They had some "pin on" patches with the exact slotted foam pads I was looking for...and much cheaper ($3.99) than the official Wheatley replacement pads (plus shipping) being sold in the UK.

If you're in need to upgrade the inserts in your pocket Wheatley fly box, just pick up these patches, peel off the foam pad, trim two sides, and your good to install them into your fly box. I found it to be a cheap and effective solution...it works great!

Comments

  1. That worked out really well. Good looking box o flies ready to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased with those slotted foam inserts. That fly box was full on the dry fly side before our Colorado trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: BearsDen now has replacement inserts back in stock at a good price! Looks like the supply chain is starting to recover...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts