Patagonia Wading Staff

Have you ever been driving down the road on a fishing adventure and suddenly realize you didn't pack an essential item? Well, that's exactly what happened on my drive to Colorado this past week...after about three hours of driving I suddenly realized that I left my wading staff at home. Dang it!!! I'm going to be fishing a large stream without my wading staff! For sure, a wading staff makes for safer wading when fighting strong currents and I'm a little spoiled to using them these days (older and wiser now).

So, I pulled into the last fly shop that was nearest our designated steam and bought an out-of-state fishing license and asked the owner what wading staffs they have for sale. He said he only had one left and started apologizing for the staff's price. After demonstrating the staff to me, I knew I didn't really have much choice but to purchase it...or wade the streams without a staff. Yep, I grimaced and plucked down the money. I rationalized the staff was actually pretty cheap compared to an emergency room visit from falling  on the rocky streambed and breaking something.

Has anyone else noticed how ridiculous the price of fishing gear is getting these days??? I can tell you this, I'm checking that packing list of mine more carefully going forward...getting too expensive not to.

If you're wondering how I liked using the Patagonia staff, all I can say is it works. Does it work any better than my Cabela's $50 wading staff? Nooooooooooo.........

Comments

  1. I've definitely noticed cost for gear increasing. It's becoming hard to justify buying new anymore for me. I hope used gear doesn't start costing as much as new like the auto industry has become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve...I've been priced out of the new rod market. Pretty sure I've bought my last new rod and will be enjoying what I have going forward. I saw that a new Winston flagship rod is now $1100...wow! Good thing I'm happy with my old classic rods...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of note: Three-piece folding trekking poles are the same as this overpriced Patagonia staff...and you get a pair of them at a fraction of cost as this single wading staff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts