Making The Cut - July

I've decided to create a monthly post on knives that I have carried through the years...they just accumulated through time. Each month I'll feature one during the course of the next year...or more. While it is not totally fishing related, it is sort of, since I need one for various reasons during fishing and camping in the outdoors. I say "need" because I would feel a bit helpless without one in my pocket or on my belt.

Almost twenty years ago, I relocated to New Mexico to assume a new job assignment. I was in my office meeting with a couple of team members when a package arrived for me. We continued our discussion while I pulled out my pocket knife and begun to open the package with it. That's when one of the meeting participants commented, "ah, mid-westerners always have a pocket knife with them." I never really knew that or given any thought about who carries a pocket knife before I heard that comment. But I guess it's true in my case...I have always carried a pocket knife since I was just a boy.

To kick off this series of posts, pictured below is the first one selected to feature: an Orvis multi-function knife, made in Italy, that is very handy when camping on a fishing trip. If I have an ice chest full of long necks in it, that knife is often with me. It's great for popping open a brew or slicing up a tomato and onion to dress up a cold cut sandwich at the noon-time lunch break. If I wasn't a committed catch-and-release angler, it would be great for cleaning the dinner catch too. (Code K)

Comments

Popular Posts