Bucket List Trip

I've started considering how to approach a fishing experience in an area I saw for the first time a few weeks ago. At 71, some trips take more time to plan than others. It's a glorious valley floor with ribbons of streams flowing through it and making their way down the mountain range. We watched two little specs (anglers) working the streams from our perch on the high mountain road. I can imagine how exciting it will be when I net my first cutthroat out of the stream in that setting. The area is spectacular and it has just become a bucket list adventure for me...most likely next year.

I have a couple of rods that will work perfectly fine for the river running through that valley, but which one? Either a 4 or 5wt rod will do the job:

Winston BIIt 8'6" 4wt fly rod - this rod may be the one to go with me. It has been referred by many anglers through the years as the "staff of moses" after all. A fun rod. And, the tradition and history of this rod makes it worthy.

Winston WT 8'6" 5wt fly rod - this legacy rod is amazing too. How could I take another rod and it not be this one??? It can do it all and has been a favorite for anglers for over twenty years...it's Joan Wulff's favorite by the way. I can't cast like Joan, but I have a blast with this rod when fishing it. If the wind picks up, I would be thankful I took it. This is most likely the rod I'll hike down into the valley with, just due to its versatility.

Well, both will be in the truck. I'll know for sure which one to pack down to the valley floor as soon as I step down on the trailhead and feel the mountain breeze on my face...






Comments

  1. That's an awesome looking meadow. From what I read there's more great fishing above the trailhead parking we ended at. Good choice of fly rods to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need another trip there, Steve...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts