Favorite 3-weight Fly Rods

Three weight fly rods are by far the most used rods that I fish with each year. We have so many small streams and creeks in New Mexico, it just makes sense that 3-weight rods become many NM anglers most used rod who live and fish in this state. 


Winston BIIt 7'6" 3wt - a fly rod that is casting perfection. In streams that require close-in work in addition to casts to distant pockets of water means this rod is the one that is usually called to duty. By far my favorite among the favorites. The rod has a firmish feel and the power to throw a line a long way. The only 3 weight rod I care to fish with during breezy days (well, my fast Sage X 376 too).


Winston Retro Glass 6'6" 3wt - this rod is pretty difficult to beat in many of the mountain creek areas I fish. It loads easy and has the perfect action to bring those little wild trout to the net. Seems we have many streams where there are tight casting challenges with stream side brush and over hanging tree branches...this rod can roll cast or flick a fly with ease in these tight areas. A Winston classic with a great reputation among the glass fly rod crowd.


Winston's LT 8'3" 3wt - this rod series has a reputation for being a great rod with the traditional Winston feel. They are a bit firmer than the IM6/WT rod series and are great to pack into a remote areas since they are a 5 piece rod. One of the more uncommon models in the series...an 8'3" 3wt that is fabulous to fish on those open meadow streams in New Mexico. This rod has my favorite reel seat of all time.
___________________________________

Below are a couple of 3-weight rods that are rising up in my favorite 3wt category...who knows, they may become a one of my favorites some day. The only reason they are not listed above is that I haven't fished them enough to fairly compare them to the others. 

Winston IM6 7'6" 3wt - this 1997 custom fly rod is a very smooth casting rod. The few times I have had this on a stream has been nothing but casting and trout fighting fun. It is getting packed for this week's fishing trip with certain New Mexico and Colorado streams in mind. The custom snake skin reel seat spacer is a one of a kind beauty.


Winston WT 7' 3wt - a rod with a progressive action and a bit of firm feel...definitely has that Winston feel going for it. The rod length and line weight make it a very versatile rod that can go just about any where on my home waters. It will most likely become my favorite 3-weight rod after I've had more time with it on trout streams. I need to pack it more often because it's just an excellent performing fly rod.

NOTE: No posts for a few days..."gone fishing"

Comments

Popular Posts