Colorado Fishing Trip (1/3)

I'm back home after a fun fishing trip with my brother, Robert and buddy, Steve. [Sidebar: It just so happens that Robert and Steve share the same birthday]. We camped and fished for four days in a beautiful part of Colorado. The only thing wrong with the trip...the days just went by too fast. This is the first time I have been to that area for fishing and, now that I have, will be going back for sure.

This trout river lives up to its reputation...a river with large trout that can be hot or cold depending on the day you're there fishing. The days were hot and windy but the area is just beautiful as can be. We explored several areas along the valley (where the rivers runs) and I savored every minute we were fishing or just taking in the views.

When I reserved the campground a few months ago, I was hoping the runoff would be through by this time, but the river was still running a bit high (320cfs). Still very fishable, though. We also fished some small creeks at very high altitude and found the flows much better. While the conditions weren't perfect, I was still able to catch three species of trout…and happy even though our catch numbers were small. You can bet with confidence that this is a place I will visit to fish again and often going forward.

Gear: Winston Boron IIIx 8'6" 5wt fly rod; Winston IM6 7'6" 3wt fly rod; Bauer SST5 and SST3.

I will post some pictures of a beautiful mountain creek we fished during this trip...sometime in the next couple of days.

Comments

  1. Great time mike. Thank you for the invitation to join you and robert. I had a great time. What a wonderful river to explore. I bet you get a slam next time there. We know where the brookies are. Wow same birthday as robert. He's a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was another fun trip, Steve...we've had some good ones! Maybe that slam will become a reality??? I sure like that area...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts