Winston Glass Retro 6'6" 3wt Fly Rod

My shortest Winston fly rod happens to be my favorite fiberglass rod. I frequently use it where tight canopies of trees surrounding the streams are prevalent. Seems like I often find myself working up the middle of the stream surrounded by brush and overhanging branches...must have a rod that can be roll casted. This rod is perfect for that...I pair it with a couple of different reels/fly lines, depending on the streams I'm fishing. This little rod is a blast to fish and can easily load a fly line with only a foot of line out of the tip, which is an important capability when fishing my mountain creeks. An 8" trout on a tight line feels like a trout twice its size tugging to get away. I really like this little rod!!!

This  rod always goes with me when I’m camping in a certain national park campground that has a trio of streams in the surrounding area. I like this campground because it usually is not crowded. Living in the truck camper for a few days with minimal provisions helps to keep the camper uncluttered and livable. I usually prepare my food at home so that I only need to reheat for meal times. And, the day before departure, buy breakfast burritos from Casa de Benavidez to reheat for my morning breakfasts with fresh black coffee....so good, with some green chile heat!!!

This is a regular trip of mine and I like to wet wade these streams...also, I don't take my fishing pack on these streams, keeping the day light and fun with the only gear being my rod, net, and shirt pocket fly box. I wouldn't even take the net except that I like to keep from handling the trout as much as possible for a safer catch and release. These little trout are special and my goal is to have fun but also to do no harm.

Comments

Popular Posts