Sage ONE 690 Fly Rod


A friend of mine, Jeff, shared his factory custom Scott Radian 6wt rod with members of a fly fishing forum a few years ago...he had a rod concept that never crossed my mind before. His concept was to have the Scott factory build him a 9' 6wt Radian rod with two butt sections...one with the single-hand handle and the other with a fighting-butt handle. Both butt sections used the same blank sections through the tip. It's a great idea! I mean, haven't you been on the river with a big, heavy trout on the line and wished you had a fighting butt on your rod? Well, I have...so I copied Jeff's concept with my Sage ONE 690 rod.

It took me about a year to find a Sage 691 butt section for sale. I've only seen one of these butt sections ever (I bought it) so it must have been a "law of attraction" kind of thing that I found one. When the 691 butt section was posted on Ebay at a cheap price, I snatched it up. All of a sudden I had a Sage ONE 9' 6wt rod with two butt sections that in effect gave me a 690 and 691 rod. I added a 5 piece sock and a Sage aluminum travel tube that holds everything in one package and I was ready for fishing.

I have fished this rod with both sections a lot in the past five years even though there are in reality only two rivers in New Mexico that are large enough for this powerful fly rod. Just sitting here typing this post is getting me in the mood to throw this rod in the truck and head to the tailwater...

Thanks, Jeff for sharing your idea...it works great!

Click on photos for larger view

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts