Winston WT 8' 2wt Fly Rod

You just don't see 8' or longer 2wt rods being made today...not as much as what was being sold just fifteen years ago, anyway. I don't why, maybe the manufacturers have determined 3wt or 4wt rods can land a fly just as softly as a 2wt rod? I think a case can still be made for the longish 2wt models, however. For example, very skittish natives where an angler has to crawl and stick the end of the rod over a bank to drop a dry fly...but I suppose I can do the same with a 3wt rod, or heavier for that matter. I have found on small creeks when there is no wind and the water is gin clear, a 2wt rod is nice for casting upstream with some distance...and less line splash.

This Winston WT model was introduced in 2001 for the first time as a 3 piece model. Prior to that year, the IM6 8' 2wt model was on the fly shop shelves in a 2 piece configuration only. The WT rod for this model stopped being made in either 2008 or 2009. If I had a 2008 catalog, I could say for sure which year...but it's a gap year in my catalog collection. Maybe I'll find that catalog year someday?

Comments

Popular Posts