Winston Catalog - 1996

This month features the Winston catalog from the year 1996. I was living in Lancaster, Pennsylvania that year, working in the largest floor plant in the world. The career experience there as an HR/Training Manager prepared me for some amazing opportunities later in life. I think of my times at that company each time they deliver my pension check...

I only have one rod from Winston during this time in their history and I love every minute I'm fishing it in my home waters. Like Tom Morgan said, "a great fly rod is always a great fly rod."

Excerpt from the 1996 Winston catalog:

Our rods are not for everyone. It takes time to understand why delicacy and smoothness are more important than stiffness. In fact, we often steer beginner anglers to rods made by other companies for the same reason that it is difficult to appreciate a well made car until you learn how to drive.
However, once you have spooked a feeding fish with an indelicate cast, have broken off a fish at the strike, and enjoy feeling the rod as you cast, then you understand why the best fly rods need to be designed for presentation and not simply distance.
After that, you understand the principle behind our celebrated smooth and balanced action.

And after that, you're ready...

Below are some select pages from the catalog. I must say, those downlocking reel seats are something of beauty. If only I could buy a new Winston rod with one of those reel seats today! I know, I'm just dreaming. Note: click on a photo for a larger view...

Comments

Popular Posts