Winston BIIt Fly Rods


The most perfect three-rod quiver that I fish with in New Mexico is my Winston BIIt rods. I can load this bag in the truck, go anywhere in the state, and have the right rod for the given environment...even though the trout streams here are as diverse as you can imagine. My belief, the BIIt is the best rod series Winston has designed and built in their history of rod making.

The most famous model in the BIIt series has always been the 8'6" 4wt rod...which was given the name "Staff of Moses" because it's taper provided both sensitivity and power to bring in large fish. It is an amazing fly rod. However, my favorite happens to be the 7'6" 3wt rod. This rod can cast a dry fly like no other rod I've fished. For me, it's the perfect 3wt rod for small trout streams in the Rocky Mountain Range.

From the 2007 Winston Catalog...the year they launched the BIIt rod series:

INNOVATION MEETS TRADITION. Introducing our new Boron IIt series, which proves that advanced boron technology can be utilized to create exceptional medium-action fly rods. With this series, we have moved our proven second generation boron in a whole new direction, with extraordinarily lightweight rods that combine the powerful, highly responsive characteristics of Boron II with the legendary smoothness and delicacy of our more traditional action rods. At Winston, we fully recognize that many people enjoy fishing for trout with medium-action rods. The new Boron IIt is a true breakthrough for such anglers.

The Winston BIIt fly rods were on the market from 2007 through 2011. I have read in several references that Winston rod designer, Sam Druckman, considered the BIIt his finest rod design while at Winston.

I can say without doubt, this rod series is a great fit for the streams I wade into. I'm anxious for spring to arrive and take this quiver out to my favorite streams in northern New Mexico for a fun time of camping and fishing...

Click on photo for a larger view

Comments

  1. Glad you are getting good use from your Winston BIIt rods. I have owned all three of those rods and loved them dearly. In fact, me and two buddies tested the 9' 5wt BIIt against the then new 9'6wt BIIx for four straight days in SW Montana. The BIIt won that competition on all three anglers' scorecards! I'll also leave you with this: I am the man who gave the 8'6" 4wt the nickname, "Staff of Moses" in a review I did of the rod right when it came out nearly 16 years ago. Nice to see that rod still getting love.

    Sincerely,

    Seattlesetters

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts