Abel TR2 Fly Reel


Abel TR2 Fly Reel - After many years of searching for an extra spool for my classic, platinum, Abel TR reel, I finally found one this week. This click and pawl reel is great for trout streams and it has brought a lot of tight line fun to me over the past several years. So, I was pretty excited to finally have added an extra spool to this classic fly reel. Now I can use it on both a 5wt and 4wt rod for given stream environments.

This reel is kind of unique in that I purchased it from Gina Abel (Steve Abel's wife)...came out of Steve's personal reel collection. This TR was made by Steve early in the development and production of the first generation TR reel series. As a result, I'm particularly fond of this reel and fish it these days primarily on various bamboo fly rods (and Winston WT). If you look closely at the feature photo, you'll see the reel has a double Abel logo on the spool's dust cap. It would be very rare if you found a double logo like that on another Abel reel produced during this era...


Comments

Popular Posts