Wheatley Fly Box - A Classic

Yeah...for sure, I'm a Wheatley fly box fan. I started using them around fifteen years ago and have accumulated about twelve or so of their boxes to date. They just work for me. The reason I have so many is that I organize each fly box with a mixed assortment of flies for a select stream on my regular fishing rotation.

We're now going into the winter season and during this off season is when I start acquiring or tying new trout flies to replenish and organize my fly boxes. I know, I know. How to organize a fly box is as diverse of a topic there can be, and I have tried many different ways to load up a box. In the past few years my boxes have evolved to being filled in view of a certain stream or region in mind...that way, once I decide what stream(s) I'm going to fish, I only take the fly box(s) with the flies that match the hatches for that stream and environment.

Through the years, I've become more and more of a fly fishing minimalist and that has certainly enhanced my fishing adventures. A perfect day on a trout stream for me these days is when I use as little gear as possible. That's why I love fishing small mountain streams in the summer so I can wet wade and not have to wear waders and wading boots. When I wade into a stream wearing only a fishing shirt, quick dry pants, wet shoes, one small fly box in the shirt pocket, rod/reel, and maybe a net slipped into the belt at my back...well, that's a day of fishing heaven for me.



Note: all products referenced in my blog posts are my own gear...I'm not sponsored or paid by any company. I'm just a retired guy having fun...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts