One more time

 The weather forecast said snow tomorrow...so I departed this morning for my mountain streams to get in some fly fishing before the snow blankets the mountain tops. This could be my last opportunity to fish before year end.

Today just happened to be one of those days the trout were active and hitting flies on top and on the dropper. Anytime I can get a trout to hit a dry fly in the winter, I'm a happy guy!!!

I started the morning on the canyon stream and there was more snow on the banks than what I was expecting. The water was gin clear and as I worked my way upstream I managed to fool three wild browns to rise to my fake offering. It was a beautiful hike upstream and back to the confluence. I was the only anger on the stream which makes for a perfect day of fishing.

When I got back to the confluence, I started fishing the sister stream...it was around noon and the sun felt really good for a bit of a warm up on the body. There were only rainbows (well, that's all I ran into) swimming the stream and they were in love with a hares ear nymph hanging below my dry fly. By mid afternoon, I must have netted about twenty trout. What a great day!

Okay, I'm now ready for some snow...

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great last good weather trip. I read the fishing is hot on my lakes and the roads that normally would be closed by now are still open. But I don't like it too cold these days. I think my fishing is over for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you could get in one more trip. It will be a while before I get out on the water again...

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention the rod kit I was using this day. A Winston WT 7'0" 2wt rod with a SST3 reel loaded with Rio LL WF3F line. This kit is about as good as it gets on this stream section with overhanging tree limbs. One of my favorite rods, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, I think I'm about back to normal. When I got home from this trip, I had a bronchitis attack and went to the emergency room. Never had one of those before??? Must of been some bad air that day...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts