Mountain Creeks

 The weather has taken a turn for the colder this week and I'm kicking myself as I write this post. Last week was absolute perfect temperatures for fall fishing and I only went out for one day...what was I thinking?

I took a day trip up north of here to a nice little high altitude creek that always seems to let me catch a good share of rainbows and browns. I only fished for about three hours in the afternoon, but was able to catch several bows and about three wild brown trout. They put up a good fight and it was enough tight lines for me to feel like it was a successful day.

The fly rod I selected for this day trip was a Winston WT 7'0" 2wt because it is just a perfect fit for the little trout in this creek. The browns usually average around 10" and the rainbows can go on average of about 12". On occasion, I have caught my share of 14" trout in these pocket waters which put a pretty good bend on a 2wt rod.

The first app that I look at each morning is the Weather and the forecast is starting to look promising for next week. Now to start planning which trout stream I would like to wade into...and, what gear to pack for the adventure.



Comments

  1. Of note: I often over line this rod for small creeks with a WF3 line...makes it easy to properly load the rod with very little line out of the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great fly fishing trip. Good luck next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve...let’s hope the weather is good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts